[OPEN-ILS-DEV] The use of Jabber on Evergreen

Edward Corrado corrado at tcnj.edu
Wed Sep 12 12:32:25 EDT 2007

Hi All,

Let me preface this by saying I don't personally have an issue with
Jabber being used as a communication tool in Evergreen, and I think the
experience in Georgia shows it does the job, however.....

On multiple occasions when talking to people who have varying levels of
IT/programming background, but not too much experience with Evergreen or
other ILS software, they start to wonder about the choice of Jabber to
communicate within the software package. I hear things like:

    "it is a weak link"
    "it doesn't scale"
    "it is a hack"
    "why would they do that, Jabber isn't designed for use that way"
    etc.

As I mentioned, I think the experience in Georgia shows that Jabber
works for Evergreen, and can at least scale to the level of a state wide
public library system (which is bigger than anything I am proposing here
in NJ). However, I really don't know enough about the choice of Jabber
to respond in any other way than "the proof is in the pudding, it works
in Georgia." Can anyone offer me any better arguments why the use of
Jabber isn't a problem (or, for that matter, confirm that it is)?

Edward

--
Edward M. Corrado
http://www.tcnj.edu/~corrado/