[OPEN-ILS-DEV] The use of Jabber on Evergreen

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 13:32:51 EDT 2007

Note: the following message is my personal opinion only.

IMHO, Jabber makes an excellent back-end communication mechanism.  It
was designed to efficiently transport data in an XML-based format, which
is ideal for a program such as OpenSRF (which needs to transport
structured text between nodes).

The fact that it doesn't scale is completely incorrect.  Jabber /does/
scale, and does so /extremely well/.  It's one of the reasons why Google
(and other large chat services) uses it for their chat programs.

I'm not sure where the design argument comes in.  It's designed to
transport text and data, and that's how Evergreen uses it.  The fact
that it's /marketed/ as an IM server is different from how it's /designed/.

In short, properly configured and implemented, it's a scalable and
efficient system for a cluster that needs to pass messages and
structured data.  Why should we re-invent the wheel for something that
works so incredibly well?

--Don