SPAM: RE: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Introduction and Question

Fred.King at Medstar.net Fred.King at Medstar.net
Fri Sep 14 08:49:46 EDT 2007

In the grand tradition of "me too" posts, let me add, me too. Just a
couple of days ago, I was assisting a user who could not understand why
his search was bringing up so many articles that apparently had nothing to
do with what he put in to the search box. I get that kind of question all
the time, and being able to see just how someone got there would be very
helpful. Would a "click here to display the whole record" button help, or
would it add to the confusion?

Fred King
Medical Librarian, Washington Hospital Center
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6221

open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org wrote on 09/14/2007
07:40:47 AM:

> Although it has been a few years since I actually helped patrons in a
> library, they do ask why a record came up if they can't see their search
> term. Particularly, if they are searching for an author or title and
> something totally unexpected is in the result set. It was not unusual
> for a patron new to using computers to ask, actually. They are trying to
> understand how to search and whether they've made an error in
> constructing the search.
>
>  Even now it is not unusual to get a question via library staff asking
> why a record came up for a particular search. Although, it is more
> common to be asked why something didn't come up.  The real estate may be
> precious, but I would err in providing more information to users.
>
> Elaine
>

> J. Elaine Hardy
> Library Services Manager - Collections & Reference
> Georgia Public Library Service,
> A Unit of the University System of Georgia
> 1800 Century Place, Suite 150
> Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304
> 404.235-7128
> 404.235-7201, fax
>
> ehardy at georgialibraries.org
> www.georgialibraries.org

CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
including its attachments may contain confidential information and
is intended only for the individual (s) or entity (ies) to whom it
is addressed . The information contained in this communication may
also be protected by legal privilege , federal law or other
applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this
communication , you are hereby notified that any distribution,
dissemination or duplication of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please
immediately delete and destroy all copies of this message and
please immediately notify us of the error by separate communication
 Thank you.