[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Introduction and Question

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Fri Sep 14 07:40:47 EDT 2007

Although it has been a few years since I actually helped patrons in a
library, they do ask why a record came up if they can't see their search
term. Particularly, if they are searching for an author or title and
something totally unexpected is in the result set. It was not unusual
for a patron new to using computers to ask, actually. They are trying to
understand how to search and whether they've made an error in
constructing the search.

 Even now it is not unusual to get a question via library staff asking
why a record came up for a particular search. Although, it is more
common to be asked why something didn't come up.  The real estate may be
precious, but I would err in providing more information to users.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
Library Services Manager - Collections & Reference
Georgia Public Library Service,
A Unit of the University System of Georgia
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304
404.235-7128
404.235-7201, fax