[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Using a postal code, instead of a zip code

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 10:40:49 EDT 2007

On 28/09/2007, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/28/07, John van Rassel <jvanrassel at innisfil.ca> wrote:
> >

> > Hello,
> > I was just wondering what my fellow Canadians have done, so that they can
> > use a postal code instead of a zip code, in the patron data?
>
> Hi John,
>
> The database calls the field "post_code", and the plan is to use
> localizations like en-CA to change the label that is displayed.  There
> is currently no regexp to do client-side validation, but that is
> planned as a localized component as well.  FWIW, the same thing will
> work with State/Province.
>
> Is  that what you were looking for?

Damn you Mike! I was just working on this answer :)

A very basic patch against trunk that should (in theory) enable postal
codes to validate in the staff client (setting aside the actual label
name that will appear beside it) is attached. Note that this would
then prevent zip codes from being registered, so the more
sophisticated localization support Mike is yammering on about will
hopefully address that as a configurable option.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University