[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SIP2: Unexpected Results from Patron Info Request (Msg 64)

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Wed Apr 23 11:38:53 EDT 2008

David J. Fiander wrote:
> Brandon,
>
> That makes sense.
>
> This probably hasn't come up before because there are few SIP clients
> that implement lots of enhanced functionality, like renewing and paying
> fines at the terminal.

Right.  I can also see cases where the data is displayed to the user, in
which case titles are a good thing to return.

> The code that handles what data gets put into the holds, overdue, etc,
> fields isn't in my SIP protocol code; it's part of the ILS backend
> module that I call.
>
> So, Bill's the one that decided to return the title, rather than the
> barcode.  Well, my test stub code returned titles, because that makes it
> easy to read the packets, and Bill just mirrored that.
>
> Either way, it's pretty straight-forward. you just need to edit the
> ILS::Patron::hold_items() function to return the right stuff from the
> patron record.

In Brandon's case, we're talking about Patron::overdue_items() and
Patron::charged_items(), though, right?

Shortly, I'll be implementing an org unit setting to support the
suppression of holds information in patron information requests.  (In
the case where the client doesn't care about the holds information and a
patron has 50+ holds, it's just passing around a lot of unnecessary
data.)  Along those same lines, we could add an additional org unit
setting to determine what data is returned from the
overdue|charged_items() calls...

-bill

--
Bill Erickson