[OPEN-ILS-DEV] libdbi-drivers 0.8.3-1 compilation configuration bug

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Tue Apr 29 16:59:12 EDT 2008

Hello all,

After some recent mucking around, I seem to have found a bug in the configure script for the relatively recent libdbi-drivers version 0.8.3-1.  Basically, they made linking against libdbi the default option (a good thing around here), but in the process, they broke the old --enable-libdbi option so that it in fact is analogous to the new option --disable-libdbi, and therefore does exactly the opposite of what we want now.  More precisely
--disable-libdbi is treated as --enable-libdbi=no
and
--enable-libdbi is treated as --enable-libdbi=yes
(a now redundant option)
but the configure script only checks if --enable-libdbi is set without checking the actual value.  If it is set AT ALL, linking is disabled.

In other words, and to repeat,
--enable-libdbi
--enable-libdbi=yes
--enable-libdbi=no
--disable-libdbi
all result in no linking.

I have never been totally sure of where this lack of linking actually causes problems, but since this has been an issue in the past, I thought this was worth sharing right away.  I certainly intend to notify the libdbi project as well, so please let me know (if any are so inclined) before tomorrow morning if I am somehow mistaken in all this.

Thanks,
DW