[OPEN-ILS-DEV] A question about holds

Brandon W. Uhlman brandon.uhlman at bclibrary.ca
Tue Aug 5 17:41:19 EDT 2008

Hi, John.

Most likely because the hold targeter isn't running. Evergreen gets
holds to people in two ways - by targeting and capture, and
opportunistically.

You're seeing opportunistic holds capture working right now -- when an
is checked in, a check is done to see if it can fulful any holds. If
it can, the staff person is alerted and the slip prints.

If an item is sitting on the shelf though, this will never happen. The
hold targeter examines every hold every twenty-four hours (I think
that might be hard-coded) to see if a copy is available to fulfil it.
If one is, it targets that copy and the item appears on the pull list.
If it's on the pull list for 24 hours without being pulled, it will
retarget -- if this is the only available copy to fulfil the hold,
you'll see no change; otherwise, the item will drop off the list (and
on to someone elses).

The hold targeter is at /openils/bin/hold_targeter.pl

and we have it cron'd to run every 15 minutes thusly:

0,15,30,45 * * * * . /etc/profile && /openils/bin/hold_targeter.pl
/openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml

Hope this helps!

Brandon

The Quoting John van Rassel <jvanrassel at innisfil.ca>:

> Hello,
>
> I am having an issue with the Pull Lists for Holds request, namely books
> I put on hold don't show up on this list.
>
> If I put a book on hold, it shows up under the user as on hold.  If I
> try and check that book in ( even though it already had a status of
> Available), it tells me it's on hold, and creates a shipping label.
>
> Any ideas why they don't show up on the list?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Brandon W. Uhlman, Systems Consultant
Public Library Services Branch