[OPEN-ILS-DEV] XULRunner 1.9

Brandon W. Uhlman brandon.uhlman at bclibrary.ca
Mon Aug 11 19:16:36 EDT 2008

I think this will probably end up being a question for Jason, but I'll
through it out to the list anyway.

How much work would be needed to get the staff client code to run on
XULRunner 1.9? My reason for asking is two-fold:

(1) it would be incredibly convenient to package up the staff client
application with a copy of Portable Firefox 3 for Windows users, and
distribute that instead of an installer. You could use it on memory
sticks for training, on machines where you occasionally have trouble
with Windows Roaming Profiles, or on machines where your malevolent IT
overlords have taken away any chance of ever getting Administrator
privileges to install software.

(2) Neither of Ubuntu Hardy's XULRunners (for example) completely
support the staff client - the patron editing interface fails with a
security error, the precise details of which escape me at this moment
-- though I see there was some discussion about 1.9 in #openils back
in May.

Cheers,

~B

Brandon W. Uhlman, Systems Consultant