[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Merging Patrons

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Tue Aug 19 09:00:35 EDT 2008

----- "Jason Etheridge" <jason at esilibrary.com> wrote:
> > I would personally prefer to designate a master record rather than
> select
> > fields from one or more records when merging, but only because I
> think the
> > interface would be easier. :)
>
> I'd be tempted to work on this from the angle of fleshing out User
> Buckets, with some sort of batch patron editor, but yeah, it'd
> definitely be easier not to. :D
>
> > I don't see any trivial way to allow for un-merging either, but
> maybe I'm
> > missing something.
>
> Maybe if everything does end up getting linked to actor.card, we
> could
> then have a previous_usr field on actor.card.  So unmerging would be
> moving the card to a previously inactivated (can't delete in this
> case) actor.usr record?

Sounds like a good possibility.  I just wonder how (or if) you could tease apart transactions that happened after the merger, particularly if there is more than one active card attached to the record, and the transactions happened after retrieving the user by name or other access point so you don't know for sure which card to attach the new transactions to.

Karen