[OPEN-ILS-DEV] xulrunner installation 1.8

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 10:12:38 EDT 2008

2008/8/25 vijay kumar <vijcrjbhu at gmail.com>:
> Dear Member,
> When i trying to remove xulrunner 1.9 through synaptic
> automatically removes mozilla and other dependencies.
> so how I install  xulrunner 1.8?
> or again i have to remove all files and install again?
> please reply,

Hi Vijay:

This is one of the reasons we don't provide installation instructions
for Ubuntu 8.04; there are still too many workarounds required for it.

That being said, you should not have to uninstall xulrunner-1.9 to
install xulrunner-1.8 (which is just called "xulrunner" in the
Universe repository of packages for Ubuntu Hardy). Both packages will
co-exist on the same system. However, your default xulrunner binary
might be linked to xulrunner-1.9 instead of xulrunner-1.8.

Try running this command:

$ ls -l `which xulrunner`

On my system, it shows that the xulrunner binary is linked to
"/etc/alternatives/xulrunner":

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 2008-01-22 00:32 /usr/bin/xulrunner ->
/etc/alternatives/xulrunner

This is good news; it means that Ubuntu is aware of multiple versions
of xulrunner, and we can switch between them easily using the
"update-alternatives" command. First, we list the available
alternatives:

$ update-alternatives --list xulrunner
/usr/lib/xulrunner/xulrunner
/usr/bin/xulrunner-1.9

Then we can set the preferred alternative. In my case (an Ubuntu 7.10
system that was upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04),
"/usr/lib/xulrunner/xulrunner" must be xulrunner-1.8 by process of
elimination. If you have installed both "xulrunner" and
"xulrunner-1.9" you might have an explicit xulrunner-1.8 alternative
to choose from instead.

So I can issue the following command to make xulrunner-1.8 my default
version of xulrunner:

$ sudo update-alternatives --set xulrunner /usr/lib/xulrunner/xulrunner

Then when you run "xulrunner --version" you should see that it is
xulrunner 1.8. I hope this helps.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University