[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Calling XML Web Services - Best Practices?

Brandon W. Uhlman brandon.uhlman at bclibrary.ca
Fri Aug 29 12:48:54 EDT 2008

Hi, all.

I'm writing an EG plugin for added content from Baker and Taylor's
Content Café.

The way their content is obtained is by POSTING a well-formed XML
document to a given URL, and received a well-formed XML document in
return. Both the document to submit and the received document have a
XSD schema available defining them.

The naïve way to do this would be to hand-construct (or
programmatically construct, but in a very manual way) the valid XML
and push it off to the site in question, and then to parse the output
through XML::Simple or XPath or some other XML parser and pick out the
pieces I need.

I think the approach above would work, but I'm a real web services
n00b, and I feel like there has to be a better way. And I just don't
know what it is.

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Brandon

Brandon W. Uhlman, Systems Consultant