[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Retrieving and parsing MARC records from the Web interface

Alexander O'Neill aoneill at upei.ca
Fri Aug 29 14:44:08 EDT 2008

Hello all, new evergreen person here.

I have a question about retrieving MARC records.  I am writing a
modification to the web interface, specifically on the rdetail page,
to print a specific entry from a MARC record  just under the main
results table without the user having to click on the MARC Record tab
below to see it.

What I have right now is that I can, when the page loads, call the
FETCH_MARC_HTML (open-ils.search:open-ils.search.biblio.record.html)
request method, and in the callback function print the contents of the
response object.

Now, before I go and parse through the raw HTML, is there a better way
to get the MARC record, as, say, a JSON object?  I tried a few
different function calls and none seemed to return any data.  I am
using the Debian 1.2.2.3 VMWare image with the default setup.

Here's the code snippet I have right now that does the job before I do
any HTML parsing:

   var req = new Request( "open-ils.search:open-
ils.search.biblio.record.html", record.doc_id() );
   req.callback(rdetailCategoriesCallback);
   req.send();
}

function rdetailCategoriesCallback(r, id) {

   var marcrecord;
   marcrecord = r.getResultObject();
   $('rdetail_categories').appendChild(text(marcrecord));

}

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

	-- alexander