[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Relevance (again)

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Wed Feb 13 16:30:41 EST 2008

Hello,

When I first joined this list I had a question about the search
algorithm that was never quite answered. A problem with it has come up
again.

I search for "Apple fruit" and got 18 "hits."

To the immediate left I have a listing of relevant subjects, the first
one of which is "Apples." Followed by "Fruit trees", "Fruit", then
"Frontier and pioneer life" and then "Overland journeys to the Pacific".

Oh, but it gets better.

Guess what is returned if you select "Apples?" Well partner, it isn't
Dewey 583.73 Apples.

No, it helpfully returns 568 "hits" which starts off with Apple
Computers, includes Appling Country census results and the tenth item is
an apple cookbook.

Does that strike anyone besides myself as rather odd behavior for a
search engine? Or perhaps I should say, a library search engine?

Well, but opinions are going to vary on that score aren't they?

My real question is: Where is the relevance behavior for Evergreen set
such that I can alter it?

That gets us past all the normative questions and to one that is purely
technical. I want to *alter* the relevance behavior of Evergreen
searches. Where is that done?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--