[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen installation problems

Keith Kelley keith.kelley at wmich.edu
Thu Feb 14 09:50:04 EST 2008

 I'm using Redhat's Fedora Core, because we use Redhat Enterpise for
production servers. I don't really relish the idea of starting over
with an operating system I wouldn't use in production.

>>> John Fink <john.fink at gmail.com> 02/14/08 9:42 AM >>>
I'm running Evergreen on Apache 2.2 just fine.  I think all my
installs have
been on 2.2.

As for your other issues, can I ask what platform you're trying to
install
Evergreen on?  I'm the first person to admit that Evergreen's
install
procedure is, uh, less than optimal, but recent innovations (John
Schmidt's
chroot installer, and Bill Erickson's make.install) has made things
much
easier.  Both of these are happiest when used under Debian, which
is what
Evergreen is developed on.  If you're not using Debian, you might
want to
think about it.

jf

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Keith Kelley
<keith.kelley at wmich.edu>
wrote:

> I have been trying to install evergreen for something like two
> weeks now, and have had nothing but problems. Let me start with
the
> ones I've overcome, so that others will not fall into this same
> pit:
>
> (1) Apache 2.2.x will not work, Apache 2.0.x must be used.
> (2) Postgres 8.3 will not work, Postgres 8.0, 8.1, or 8.2 must
be
> used.
> (3) mod_perl must be downloaded and installed after apache (I
> wouldn't have run into this problem if I didn't start with
apache
> 2.2.x)
> (4) libmemcache must be installed (a separate thing from
> memcached)
> (5) There are no installation instructions for OpenSRF (the link
> from the installation page goes to a new document)
> (6) The installation document for evergreen itself is buried
very
> deep and called "generic installation"
>
> Where I really got stuck was at the apache configuration. I
gather
> one is supposed to use the eg_vhost.conf, as included from
eg.conf.
> Even if you click on the "Original Format" link you end up with
an
> html page. You cannot cut and paste this document either, as
that
> grabs line numbers as well. I think the only way to get this file
is
> the svn command line client. Also, one must delete the
ScriptAlias

--
http://libgrunt.blogspot.com --  library culture and technology.