[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen installation problems

John Schmidt jas at xmission.com
Thu Feb 14 10:44:21 EST 2008

On Thursday 14 February 2008, Keith Kelley wrote:
>  I'm using Redhat's Fedora Core, because we use Redhat Enterpise for
> production servers. I don't really relish the idea of starting over
> with an operating system I wouldn't use in production.

Keith,

I would recommend that you use Debian for right now just to get your feet wet
and avoid the pain of trying to get all of the dependencies resolved
yourself.  My script pulls in all of the dependencies you need plus massages
all of the config files to get a basic Evergreen install working.

The evergreen install has a bunch of dependencies that need to be configured
appropriately.  If anything is not done correctly, you will get errors in
non-obvious places.

If you would be willing to set up a test Debian box, I would be more than
happy to work with you to get it installed.  It is my experience that it
takes about 15-20 minutes using my scripts provided you have a bit of
experience with system administration.

I would be more than happy to call you and talk through any issues.  I do not
run RedHat.  I left the RPM world long ago when I had numerous architectures
(x86, m68K, ppc,mips) that I maintained and needed a consistent OS.   Debian
was the only one to provide that.  The thing that I like about Debian is the
number of packages that are provided.  I compile well over half a million
lines of c++ code every day for my day job and the last thing I want to do is
to futz around compiling a bunch of packages to do an install.  Debian makes
it easy to install evergreen by satisfying the vast majority of dependencies.

You can contact me offline if you would like.

John Schmidt
jas at xmission.com