[OPEN-ILS-DEV] staff client i18n: hard-coded strings in javascript for XHTML files

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 08:25:45 EST 2008

On 20/01/2008, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2008 7:39 AM, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > In /xul/server/admin/non_cat_types.js, which is pulled into
> > /xul/server/admin/non_cat_types.xhtml, the _splitInterval function has
> > hard-coded time unit strings (minutes, hours, days weeks, etc) that
> > can't (I think) be localized through the normal methods of either
> > XMLENT (because this is a standalone javascript file) or
> > messagecatalog (because the parent is an XHTML file, not a XUL file).
>
> IIUC, you want to change the actual value of the interval as stored on
> the non-cat object.  Even if we could normalize it, we shouldn't (must
> not, actually) -- the interval data itself that the function is meant
> to work with is an PG INTERVAL value.
>
> It looks to me like the only thing that needs to be translated are the
> displayed strings inside the xhtml file; Hours, Minutes, Weeks, Days
> and Months (note the case) -- the text content of the <option/>
> elements instead of that of the @value attribute.  Is this what you
> mean and I'm just misunderstanding?
>
> Assuming I'm not misunderstanding, we'd just need the standard XMLENT/DTD dance.

Oops. You are of course correct, idata[1] from the JS file just holds
the selector id ("minutes", "hours", etc) which is then used to set
the selector in the XHTML file where the strings are actually
displayed and easily translatable.

I've been up since 4:30 am working through the server/admin XUL, just
started looking at the XHTML/JS in the directory, and made an
assumption about how ncDisplayTypes worked without following it
through. Sorry about wasting your time on this.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University