[OPEN-ILS-DEV] RE: Loading bibs questions

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 20:20:14 EDT 2008

Hi Frances:

2008/7/1 Frances Dean McNamara <fdmcnama at uchicago.edu>:
> To answer my own question #1, in the info about importing the Gutenberg
> records it explains how if you use a source for Gutenberg records (id=3
> transparency is true) then those bibs can show without items being attached.
>

> Seems like the default is to not have a bib show up in opac until an item is
> attached.  Even if an item is attached, does it also have to be checked in?

In the development version of Evergreen, if an item is attached but
does not have an "OPAC-visible" status, then it will not be visible in
the OPAC. As of Evergreen 1.4 (due this summer) there will be a very
clean interface for enabling you to select which statuses (In
processing, On order, Reserves, etc) are OPAC-visible.

>  If so, we might want to not do that.  We do not checkin every piece, it
> goes straight to the shelves.  We suppress uncataloged materials, but we
> display all else, including on order pieces in the catalog. Is there any
> harm in loading a pretty substantial file of bibs with cataloging source 3,
> so they show in the opac and then loading the matching items later?

Rather than using source 3, you might want to define a custom source
that has more meaning for you than "Gutenburg records" but which also
has transcendence set to true. But no, there's certainly no harm in
it. It just means that your users will always see hits for the items,
even if they are not imminently available for loan.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University