[OPEN-ILS-DEV] RE: Loading bibs questions

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 20:22:45 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Frances Dean McNamara
<fdmcnama at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> To answer my own question #1, in the info about importing the Gutenberg
> records it explains how if you use a source for Gutenberg records (id=3
> transparency is true) then those bibs can show without items being attached.

Right.  More specifically, sources can be created at will, and in an
upcoming release you will be able to specify a source a bib
import/creation time.

> Seems like the default is to not have a bib show up in opac until an item is
> attached.  Even if an item is attached, does it also have to be checked in?
>  If so, we might want to not do that.  We do not checkin every piece, it
> goes straight to the shelves.  We suppress uncataloged materials, but we
> display all else, including on order pieces in the catalog. Is there any
> harm in loading a pretty substantial file of bibs with cataloging source 3,
> so they show in the opac and then loading the matching items later?

Items will show up in the opac if all of the following conditions are true:

* The record has copies where at least one copy's OPAC Visible flag is true
* The record has copies where at least one copy's shelving location
has OPAC Visible set to true
* The record has copies where at least one copy's status has:
  - Holdable set to true in 1.2 and before
  - OPAC Visible set to true in 1.4 (next major release) and beyond

  --OR--

* The record has a transcendent bib source

By "checkin" above, I assume you're referring to acquisitions checkin.
The default workflow would be to move the copies from On Order to In
Process, but I don't see any reason we couldn't make that configurable
for the case where you get your items in a shelf-ready form.  They
could go directly from On Order to Available.  In any case, all of the
statuses mentioned here are OPAC Visible out of the box, and would
show up in the OPAC by default.