[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Help understanding Directories in Evergreen

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Wed Jun 18 12:25:39 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 18 June 2008 11:39 John van Rassel wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I am just having a few issues trying to understand the different
> directories in Evergreen.
>
> When I look in ~/Evergreen-ILS-1.2.2.0 on both the server I setup, and
> the vmware images,  there are two directories of note; and Evergreen
> directory and an Open-ILS directory.
>
> When I ran the canuck.patch, I noticed it patches the files in the
> Open-ILS directory.
>
> When I build a new client though, it uses the ue.xhtml file from the
> ~/Evergreen-ILS-1.2.2.0/Evergreen directory.
>
> I guess what I am really trying to understand is:  Why does this extra
> Evergreen directory exist.

Excellent question, John.

The Evergreen directory was initially created to act as the PINES
implementation of OpenILS, which was called "Evergreen".  As such, it
contains almost exclusively PINES-specific files.  The only set of files in
the Evergreen directory that are not PINES-specific are the user editor
files.  They were originally supposed to act as the PINES skin of the user
editor, but have become the supported and default version, which is why the
staff client copies those files into place at build time.

The plan moving forward is to move the Evergreen version of the user editor
files back into the Open-ILS directory and to move the PINES-specific files
into an external repository or the proposed ILS-Contrib repository to reduce
confusion.  After that, we can remove the Evergreen directory from the
repository entirely.  These changes are proposed for Evergreen 1.4.

Clear as mud? ;)

-bill

--
Bill Erickson