[OPEN-ILS-DEV] un-Stuck on Evergreen and starting to load bibs

Frances Dean McNamara fdmcnama at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 23 16:40:09 EDT 2008

Thanks for the assistance.  Seems I was logging on with "libopen.uchicago.edu" when it only wanted "libopen"  as the server name in the client.  So we are off and running.  Hurrah for that!

No doubt we will be back with more questions on loading data.  I am able to bring in records from Worldcat and make items.  We will now modify the org unit list and try to import a small file of marc records with item info in 999 to see how that goes.  I realize we need to use the parameter for the id number since we already have some bibs loaded.

We will be getting to loading the full 5.2 million bibs and 7 million items (after some smaller test loads).  Anybody want to warn us of what size chunks to use?  Is a million at a time too many?  Are there any memory or other settings we need to modify before a big load?

I can see it is a two step (at least) process.  Does one load the entire file of bib records then load matching item information via a separate pull of item data using the old bib id number to match them up?

Any advice as we embark on this would be welcome.  We have a good sized processor and space on the SAN for all this.

Frances McNamara
University of Chicago