[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Acquisitions module question

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 13:01:39 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Edward Corrado <corrado at tcnj.edu> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  As part of my ongoing evaluation of Evergreen, a new question about the
>  acquisitions module under development came up. Basically, what it boils
>  down to is that I want to know if the acquisitions module being
>  developed will allow for library A to only see Library A's acquisition
>  information (funds, purchase price, etc). And that under no
>  circumstances will Library B be able to see it. In a loose consortia
>  environment, this is most likely a must have, at least it would probably
>  be for us. Does this exist or is it being planned for in the acquisition
>  module under development.

Absolutely.  In fact, that's one of the main reasons that PINES was
never able to use the ACQ system from their previous vendor.  While
they are a "tight" consortium, they still have individual funding
sources, funds, accounts, purchasing guidlines, etc, and must be
separate and quarantined.  The same is true of
Laurentian/McMaster/Windsor, and, I suspect, any sufficiently large
institution or consoritium.

All ACQ permissions will be object based where appropriate and use the
preexisting scoped-org_unit scheme where that makes sense.  The
permission structure that has existed since the initial design of
Evergreen allows granting specific permissions to specific users at
specific locations, and at ranges based on those locations (branch,
institution, consortium, etc).  The ability to apply these
restrictions on a very granular basis is built into the core security
model of Evergreen -- it's there from the ground up.