[OPEN-ILS-DEV] bzr noise - apologies and explanation of distributed workflow

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Mon May 26 15:08:20 EDT 2008

Ugh. Changeset 9707 (http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/changeset/9707)
was some extra noise from my local bazaar repository. My apologies for
pushing that out to trunk and adding noise to the commit logs.

For what it's worth, I've been working towards a workflow that
supports both the decentralized and centralized worlds of source code
repositories. I'm using bazaar with the bzr-svn plugin to clone the
Subversion trunk repository and enable fast local version control,
branching, and merging to/from Subversion trunk. I'm primarily
interested in the fast local version control and fast local branching
part of the workflow (enabling me to quickly test and recover from
local patches), but it would be relatively easy to publish an
"Evergreen en-CA" bazaar repository that includes only the changes
needed for a reasonable set of default settings for the English Canada
locale.

At the same time, to maintain the quality of the source code through
central review and testing, the Subversion trunk repository at
http://svn.open-ils.org is the target for patches to be filtered
through the usual development process
(http://open-ils.org/documentation/contributing.html). The central
repository serves as the heart of the project and the touchstone for
all of our work.

At Laurentian, for the past few weeks we've been roughly following the
"decentralized version control with human gatekeeper" model described
at http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/en/user-guide/index.html#using-gatekeepers
- I'm acting as the gatekeeper for the two students working on
Evergreen here, and they each have their own bazaar repositories. So
far, it has been working out pretty well, and I would encourage others
to explore the same sort of approach. If you're interested in a
quick-start guide to using bazaar to create your own local Evergreen
branch, I could write that up in the wiki.

Well, minus the commit noise to the central repository :( I'll try to
avoid that in the future.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University