[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Z39.50 target

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon May 26 20:57:31 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Grant Johnson <fgjohnson at upei.ca> wrote:
> OK -
> I know there isn't a z39.50 target right now... and the road map says 1.4 Summer '08, but I've got 2 weeks! :-)
> So...
> Anyone have any ideas in setting up a gateway, or something, to act as a target Z39.50 server for Interlibrary Loan and Federated search until it's integrated into EG?
>
> How about a Alpha/Beta of the Z server?

I don't see any reason right out front that OpenILS::WWW::Supercat
from trunk won't work as a drop-in replacement for the one in 1.2.2,
but it has not been tested with anything prior to trunk/1.4.  This, in
combination with the Apache config below, will give you an SRU target
that understands the Bibliographic Context Set for CQL.

<Location /opac/extras/sru>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler OpenILS::WWW::SuperCat::sru_search
    Options +ExecCGI
    PerlSendHeader On
    allow from all
</Location>

The next step is integrating Simple2ZOOM, which can act as a sort of a
reverse Z39.50 proxy to SRU targets.  That is not complete, but you
can read more about Simple2ZOOM at:

 http://search.cpan.org/~mirk/Net-Z3950-Simple2ZOOM/bin/simple2zoom

This is the plan for 1.4, though I don't think Debian has a modern
enough YAZ package, which means installing YAZ from source.