[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Questions about Locations

Murphy, S.K. smurphy at georgialibraries.org
Thu May 29 15:04:20 EDT 2008

Hi, Frances -

I'd probably set it up so that University of Chicago is the owning
library for all items.  The physical libraries on campus would be the
Circulating Libraries, and then the Collections locations within them
would be the Shelving Location - from your description, it sounds like
the "Shelving Location" attribute would be the appropriate way to
designate 'collections' (with the exception of your Special Collections
items, see below).

An example hierarchy:

            University of Chicago[sk]  - Owning Library

                        Regenstein [sk] -Circulating Library

                                                Reserves  [sk]  -
Shelving Location

                                                Reading Room First Floor
[sk]  - Shelving Location

                                                Reading Room Second
Floor, etc.  [sk]  - Shelving Location

                                                Periodicals  [sk]  -
Shelving Location

                                                Recordings  [sk]  -
Shelving Location

                                                5th Floor Middle East
Microforms  [sk]  - Shelving Location

                                                3rd Floor Microforms
[sk]  - Shelving Location

                                                etc.  [sk]  - Shelving
Location

                        Law [sk] -Circulating Library

                                                Reserves  [sk]  -
Shelving Location

                                                Reference  [sk]  -
Shelving Location

                                                Periodicals  [sk]  -
Shelving Location

                                                Microforms  [sk]  -
Shelving Location

                                                Sharp Collection  [sk]
- Shelving Location

                                                Storage  [sk]  -
Shelving Location

                                                etc.

So, and item located at Regenstein in the Read Room First Floor location
would have "University of Chicago" as the Owning Library, "Regenstein"
as the Circ Lib, and "Reading Room First Floor" as it's Shelving
Location.

For items held by Special Collections, I imagine that they'd have
"Special Collections" as both the owning and circulating library, though
if these items are checked out from the Main library circ desk, you may
wish to have the Main Library as the circulating library to prevent
creating "transits" for items held in the same building.

The advantage of Shelving Locations is that they allow you to set OPAC
visibility and circulation rules; you could set up the "Reserves"
Shelving Location to disallow holds, for example.  Plus, Shelving
Location is displayed in the OPAC - clicking on an item's "details" link
shows the status and location.

Also, I may be mistaken about this, but I believe that strings in the
OPAC are internationalized as of EG version 1.4.  This would allow you
to change the display string "Location" to "Collection" within the OPAC.

Hope that helps!

-Murph

Some say the world will end in fire and ice.  Others say it will be
segfaults.

  _____