[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Books on Ubuntu?

Sharp, Chris csharp at georgialibraries.org
Mon Nov 3 12:53:47 EST 2008

Hi Dave,

I've found that books on particular Linux distributions are often out of
date by the time they actually hit the shelves, so I haven't found a
book about Ubuntu that I thought was worth buying.  Having said that,
though, there are a couple of books out there that have helped me learn
the basics of Linux system administration (links to WorldCat.org):

 How Linux Works: What Every Superuser Should Know
<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/54391925>  - covers the basics of Linux
from the ground up, with a friendly "here's what you need to know" sort
of tone.

The Debian System: Concepts and Techniques
<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/60971987>  - this book is current up to
Debian "sarge" but covers the essentials of Debian very well.  Since
Ubuntu is based on Debian, you should find the information about package
management and Debian's philosophy helpful.

I'm sure other Linux users have their favorites (and may disagree with
mine).  I've actually found the Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/)
to be extremely helpful when troubleshooting, though I agree about the
value of a single, comprehensive book.

As to an Evergreen book, I think Dan Scott has begun a project like
that, but I'll let him answer for himself. J  Evergreen documentation
efforts are ongoing and the fruits of that will continue to appear on
the evergreen-ils.org web site.

Hope this is helpful,

Chris

Chris Sharp