[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SuperCat - adding supported format?

Duimovich, George gduimovi at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Nov 4 18:29:31 EST 2008

I am looking for some feedback on adding support for additional SuperCat transformations.

We have a large map collection and have some key user communities standardized on the FGDC format [1]. This standard specifies the content of metadata for a set of digital geospatial data.

I am impressed with the off-the-shelf transformations supported here [2] and I would like to hear from anyone on the process for adding an additional supported format. In particular, we are looking to support FGDC (and related ISO 19115) standard as one of the SuperCat output transformations.

FYI, a sample crosswalk is available here [2], thanks to the work of Terry Reese. Note the available MARCXML21 => FGDC v.2 XSLT crosswalk.

Any comments on next steps (getting started by adding it as a local only transformation vs. getting this officially part of SuperCat supported formats), etc.

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque RNCan

Links:
[1] http://www.fgdc.gov (see also http://www.isotc211.org/ - ISO standard includes portion that formalizes, works on FGDC metadata standard, ISO 19115 Geographic Information - Metadata)

[2] http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=backend-devel:supercat:examples&s[]=supercat

[3] Crosswalks: http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/dspace/handle/1957/16
See FGDC  MARC21slim2FGDC.xsl (45.46 kB XML )
MARCXML21 => FGDC v.2 XSLT crosswalk

See also: http://www.alexandria.ucsb.edu/public-documents/metadata/marc2fgdc.html