[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SuperCat - adding supported format?

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 13:06:28 EST 2008

Hi George:

2008/11/4 Duimovich, George <gduimovi at nrcan.gc.ca>:

> I am looking for some feedback on adding support for additional SuperCat transformations.
>
> We have a large map collection and have some key user communities standardized on the FGDC format [1]. This standard specifies the content of metadata for a set of digital geospatial data.
>
> I am impressed with the off-the-shelf transformations supported here [2] and I would like to hear from anyone on the process for adding an additional supported format. In particular, we are looking to support FGDC (and related ISO 19115) standard as one of the SuperCat output transformations.
>
> FYI, a sample crosswalk is available here [2], thanks to the work of Terry Reese. Note the available MARCXML21 => FGDC v.2 XSLT crosswalk.
>
> Any comments on next steps (getting started by adding it as a local only transformation vs. getting this officially part of SuperCat supported formats), etc.

I think the first step would be getting a license for the crosswalk;
the Oregon State repository that you pointed to simply says "Items in
ScholarsArchive are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved,
unless otherwise indicated." and there is no other indication in
either comments in the MARC21XML -> FGDC crosswalk or other collateral
that the stylesheet is available under any license.

Assuming that we can get over the licensing hump, it should be a
relatively straightforward matter of dropping the transform into
Open-ILS/src/perlmods/OpenILS/Application/SuperCat.pm and
Open-ILS/src/perlmods/OpenILS/WWW/SuperCat/Feed.pm (using something
like MODS32 as a template).

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University