[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Cleaning up OpenSRF Makefile.install

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Mon Nov 24 08:57:43 EST 2008

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:40:59 -0500, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:

> I've been working, on and off, on trying to ensure that the prereqs
> for OpenSRF are as minimal as possible in the Makefile.install. One of
> the goals is to make OpenSRF as viable a project on its own as it can
> be, meaning that it should not drag along unnecessary prereqs.
>
> So with that in mind, do the following enabled Apache mods properly
> belong to OpenSRF? We have the osrf_http_translator and
> osrf_json_gateway modules, but if pressed I would think that these
> more properly belong in the Evergreen Makefile.install. Confirmation
> would be appreciated, however.
>
> DEB_APACHE_MODS = \
> 	expires\
> 	include\
> 	proxy\
> 	proxy_http\
> 	rewrite\
> 	ssl

Confirmed.  I could see leaving SSL in there, just so the gateway modules
could run encrypted out of the box, but it's certainly not required.  The
other modules are definitely EG only.

> And then we have the CPAN modules that may no longer be necessary in
> recent distributions. We probably don't want to build modules from
> source if we can rely on the distribution's packages. The only one
> below that we might not want to use packages for in modern distros is
> Net::Server, as 0.94 was available in Debian Etch and there seemed to
> be a deliberate choice to build the older version - again, insight
> would be appreciated:
>
> # generic CPAN modules:
> #   * DateTime::Format::ISO8601 is packaged by both Debian Lenny and
> Ubuntu Intrepid
> #   * JSON::XS is packaged by both Debian Lenny and Ubuntu Intrepid
> #   * XML::LibXML::XPathContext is part of libxml-libxml-perl on
> Debian Lenny and Ubuntu Intrepid
> #   * libnet-server-perl 0.97 is packaged on Debian Lenny and Ubuntu
> Intrepid
> #     - is there a specific need for 0.90?
> CPAN_MODULES = \
> 	DateTime::Format::ISO8601 \
> 	RHANDOM/Net-Server-0.90.tar.gz \
> 	JSON::XS \
> 	XML::LibXML::XPathContext

Also confirmed.  We explicitly install Net::Server 0.90 because of
instability problems with newer versions.  I haven't tested the latest
(0.97) and the changelog for 0.96 looks promising, but I can say 0.94 has
problems.

Also, libjson-xs-perl is not available in Etch.

The other modules can definitely be removed from the CPAN list.

Thank, Dan!

-b

--
Bill Erickson