[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Problem with evergreen install on ubuntu 8.04

David Coulter Dcoulter at grapevinetexas.gov
Wed Oct 15 17:30:29 EDT 2008

2008/10/15 David Coulter <Dcoulter at grapevinetexas.gov>:
> Dan Scott said:
>
> Okay. Hmm. Then you might want to try this out to ensure that the
> dependencies are there (even though Makefile.install should ensure
> this for you):
>
> sudo aptitude install postgresql-contrib-8.2 postgresql-plperl-8.2
> Hey Dan:
> After I type that in it asks for the postgres password and then goes back to
> the prompt.

postgres password? Oh. That means you're running the sudo command as
the postgres user, which doesn't have sudo capabilities. Per the
instructions at the top of that page, then, become the root user and
issue the command:

aptitude install postgresql-contrib-8.2 postgresql-plperl-8.2
OK.  I went back to root user and entered your string and got the following:
_____________________________
Reading package lists done... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages have been automatically kept back:
   libbind9-30   libisc32   libisccc30   libisccfg30
   bind9   bind9-host   dnsutils
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove an 7 not upgraded
Need to get 0B of archives After unpacking 0 will be used.
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package status... Done
Building tag database... Done
_____________________________________

Do I go back to the command I was trying to run or does this supplant that?
> I type in the same thing "createlang plperl evergreen" and get
> the same result, that is: the system tells me "no such file or directory."
> I don't suppose there is any more detailed manual than the one at:
> http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=installing_evergreen_1.2_on_ubuntu_7.10
> ?

Nope, that's all there is. Mind you, this is the first time someone
following those instructions has reported the problem that you have
reported, and the Ubuntu 8.04 VMWare image at
http://open-ils.org/downloads.php was built following those directions
step by step.

Isn't it nice to be a pioneer?  Actually I am not using VMWare.  I used the 3rd choice: "Download and install the Evergreen server" and installed it to its own box.  I'm thinking what I really need is a course in linux.
Thanks,
Dave

--
Dan Scott