[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Does Evergreen support externalauthentication/identification modules?

Lyons, Cyrus 2 lyonsc2 at lsbu.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 10:41:01 EDT 2008

Hi David,

Good question. There is no existing module for LDAP authentication for
Evergreen, as far as I know, though I remember reading that it was
planned. If I'm wrong, I'll kick myself, because I just made the (very
difficult) decision to abandon Evergreen for the project I'm working
on at the moment and code my own ILS in PHP; partly to address the
need for LDAP authentication, and partly to address some other needs
the project managers laid out. It hasn't exactly been easy! I think
I'm right, however, and if I am, the only thing it needs is for
someone to actually write it (hint, hint).

That said, writing an LDAP module for Evergreen (which I did consider
quite carefully) shouldn't be that difficult - perl has, if I remember
rightly, well-documented and powerful LDAP functions just as PHP has -
you may have to grab the relevant module from CPAN. The main
difficulty I expect you'd run into would be working out where to add
hooks and how to best integrate the module with the existing
framework. I'm afraid I didn't closely enough examine the way the
software is constructed to be of much help with this, but you're
definitely on the right list to get all the help you need.

That's a fairly amateur assessment - other input warmly welcomed!

Best,

Cyrus