[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Installation issues/problems

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 20:23:28 EDT 2008

Hi Thomas:

2008/9/14 Thomas Edward <thomaedward at hotmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed Evergreen server on Ubuntu 7.10 and have followed all the instructions on http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=installing_evergreen_1.2_on_ubuntu_7.10.  I have a small lab with four machines whic dual boot Windows Vista and Linux Unbuntu 7.10.  This is a exercise for me but I'd like to demo to the local library.
>
> Issue #1.
> When I run instruction 2 (i) under "Starting Evergreen"  I get the following error message.
>
> root at thomas-desktop:/home/thomas# su opensrf
> opensrf at thomas-desktop:/home/thomas$ osrf_ctl.sh -c /openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml -a start_router
> Starting OpenSRF Router
> !!!! Unable to connect router to jabber server localhost... exiting

I think this is the big problem - it's mirrored by the error that you
got in settings-tester.pl.

Checking opensrf_core.xml, you have two different passwords for the
"opensrf" Jabber user - "mypass" and "mypassword". These passwords
have to be correct so that the opensrf Jabber user can connect to
Jabber and talk to the router Jabber user

> Issue #2
> Quote from instruction document: Instruction 17 (ii)
> Change the name of the child element of the  element in opensrf.xml from ... to match the fully-qualified domain name of your server. For example, if the fully-qualified domain name of your server is "evergreen.rocks.com":
>
> I have run the instruction> perl -MNet::Domain -e 'print Net::Domain::hostfqdn()
>
> but get this output:
> root at thomas-desktop:/home/opensrf/Evergreen-ILS-1.2.2.3/Open-ILS/src/support-scripts# perl -MNet::Domain -e 'print Net::Domain::hostfqdn()
>>
>>What do you think  the problem  might be?

You're missing the ending semicolon-singlequote characters for the
command; it should be:

 perl -MNet::Domain -e 'print Net::Domain::hostfqdn();'

> Issue #3
>  I have executed the file Open-ILS/src/support-scripts/settings-tester.pl and haveattached the results for your analysis.  Teh file is called "settings-tester-results".

The list of Perl modules shows that Net::Z3950::ZOOM wasn't installed
successfully, probably because indexdata's test server is still down.
See http://list.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-general/2008-August/000838.html
for details and a workaround. You won't need this until you get the
staff client running, though, so no rush.

We also see the failure to connect to the Jabber router, which I
covered in issue 1.

> Issue  #4
> Quote from instruction document:Section "Testing connections to Evergreen"
> " Once you have installed and started Evergreen, test your connection to Evergreen via srfsh: "
>
> question:  Must I run this as root, as opensrf or as thomas at thomas-desktop:/$ ?

You can run this as any user that has .srfsh.xml set up in their home directory.

> Issue #5:
> I am not clear on instruction # 19.
> Copy /openils/conf/srfsh.xml.example to .srfsh.xml in the home directory of each user you want to use to run the srfsh command line client for testing OpenSRF, and edit .srfsh.xml as follows: "
>
> Must this file be copied to the /home/opensrf directory?

You can copy the configuration file to the home directory of any user.
I often have /home/opensrf/.srfsh.xml and /home/dan/.srfsh.xml both
set up so that I don't have to switch users just to run some srfsh
commands.

> Issue #6 Attachments
> I have also included the following files as attachments: opensrf.xml, opensrf_core.xml

Very helpful in diagnosing the problem - thanks!

Let us know what happens. Hopefully once you work out the Jabber
username/password problem, everything else will fall into place.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University