[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Errors in Apache's error log that suggest a subtle problem

Jeff Godin jgodin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 11:22:11 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:03 AM, John Craig
<jc-mailinglist at alphagconsulting.com> wrote:

> Changed the port order in /etc/apache2/ports.conf to read:
>
> <IfModule mod_ssl.c>
>     Listen 443
> </IfModule>
>
> Listen 80

The above should be sufficient to fix the original issue with the
internal dummy connections generating SSL related errors in
/var/log/apache2/error.log

Sorry, I should have been more specific and pointed to just the "SSL
Considerations" section of the InternalDummyConnection page. That's
the portion I added the other day. The content above it was
pre-existing.

> Added the SetEnvIf & CustomLog lines to apache2.conf right after the
> LogFormat directives:
>
> # (newly added)
> # Avoid the logging of can't talk to myself via SSL
> SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "127\.0\.0\.1" loopback
> CustomLog common env=!loopback
> # (end of newly added)

The apache logging directives for Evergreen will be found in
/etc/apache2/sites-available/eg.conf (assuming the setup from the EG
wiki). Keep in mind that these aren't wrapped in a <VirtualHost> block
-- I think that in the interest of having a quick system up and
running, there are some assumptions made that Evergreen won't need to
co-exist with other virtualhosts.

There's a number of ways to prevent the "dummy" connections from
showing up at all in the access.log file, but I wouldn't recommend the
generic "don't log anything from 127.0.0.1" approach. On my test
systems, there are plenty of non-dummy localhost connections that I
wouldn't want to hide.

-jeff