[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Duplicate barcodes - Use Case Scenarios

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Wed Dec 9 10:57:31 EST 2009

While I would not describe this as duplicate barcodes because of the potential problems around that, PINES would like to see multiple bibliographic records linked to one barcode. Some ILSs refer to this as parent -child or bound-with .

Our current use case: Some of our libraries are considering purchasing Kindles to circulate with multiple titles already downloaded. I would prefer entering bib records for each of the e-books and tie them to the device using one barcode rather than some of our other options. Thus we would have the parent record for the device and child records for each of the titles downloaded onto the device.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128