[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Duplicate barcodes - Use Case Scenarios

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Wed Dec 9 13:23:46 EST 2009

Thanks for your clarification.

I've been talking (confusingly) about "duplicate barcodes" in the context of the issue appearing  when we "flatten" those pre-existing relationships to fit the current EG model, and trying to figure out how to deal with that. So we'll have some (bad) trickery in place to deal with this for the interim, and then be able to support it later on by re-building those relationships (keeping record of original mappings, etc.)

I agree with you completely on your abstraction layer: To revise, we need to support the 1 to many links between an item record key and bib record key (ie. But **not** necessarily support duplicate barcodes).  How about something like a 1:M linking table between asset.copy.id + each bib record id ??

Thanks!

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Jason Etheridge
Sent: December 9, 2009 10:19
To: Evergreen Development Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Duplicate barcodes - Use Case Scenarios

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Duimovich, George <George.Duimovich at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca> wrote:
> The practical requirement: we'd like to see support for duplicate
> barcodes, thereby allowing linking capability between single item
> record and 2 or more bib records.

Hrmm, my preference would be to see some other abstraction or layer between items and records, perhaps a peer or augmentation of volume/callnumber.

How is this sort of thing modeled in a purely MARC/MFHD world, if at all?

--
Jason Etheridge
 | VP, Tactical Development
 | Equinox Software, Inc. / The Evergreen Experts  | phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)  | email:  jason at esilibrary.com  | web:  http://www.esilibrary.com

Please join us for the Evergreen 2010 International Conference, April 20-23, 2010 at the Amway Grand Hotel and Convention Center, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
http://www.evergreen2010.org/