[OPEN-ILS-DEV] E-Book Connundrum

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Wed Dec 9 11:14:45 EST 2009

I've been looking into this for our libraries. I've found 2 ways that nonEvergreen libraries appear to be handling the devices. They have a record for the device alone. I have not determined yet if they circulate just the Kindle or if they have titles downloaded and a list available outside the catalog. Apparently, some libraries download titles on demand to e-books as well. Other libraries use the record for the device and add 700, 740, 505 and/or 246 fields to the record in their local catalog for the titles downloaded on the device. Obviously, they have nowhere near 1500 titles on the Kindles they loan. Using the indexed fields for at least title and author does allow patrons to find the e-books with those kinds of searches. It does mean, however, that the e-books would be invisible with subject or series searches. As I said in my earlier message, I would much prefer the ability of tying disparate bib records to each other with a single barcode. Since Evergreen does not have that functionality, we are considering at this point having a separate record for each device based on the titles downloaded onto it, using TOCs and headings to indicate which titles are on the particular device. We are debating whether these would be local records only or not. Any other ideas people have for handling the devices in Evergreen would be greatly appreciated.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128