[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Improving Evergreen's OPAC Search

Chad G. Hansen cgh at byu.edu
Thu Dec 10 13:37:06 EST 2009

I am part of a team of researchers in the Brigham Young University Computer
Science department who are interested in improving the searching used by
Evergreen's OPAC interface.
Others on the team have come up with a fast and effective way to do
searching using folksonomies which greatly increases relevance of results
and we are interested in adding that system to one of the open-source
library systems out there. We are considering both Koha and Evergreen for
this.
We would like to have the Open-ILS community's involvement as much as
possible.

We would like to either enhance the existing search algorithm of Evergreen
or replace it with our own search.

We would like to know if anyone is interested in being involved with this?
We would also like to get any pointers on how possible and how difficult
this might be for our team to do this, keeping in mind that we are newish to
the library specific protocols and formats (MARC, Z39.50, etc).

Thanks for your consideration.

--
Thank you,
Chad