[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Z39.50 profile

Grant Johnson fgjohnson at upei.ca
Wed Jul 8 10:54:20 EDT 2009

A couple of comments/questions re the Z39.50 "profile" .

Can someone comment on these for me and let me know if there's anything that can be done move this forward?

1) There should probably also be a standard Z39.50 config defined for ALL Evergreen sites.

2) Can we build separate indexes for 020 (ISSN) and 022 (ISBN) to map to the 7 and 8 use attributes.
     or 7 - ISSN/ISBN

3) Does the title index including all of the subfields or just the title proper elements?

4) Use attribute =7 is always ISBN and 8 is ISSN
    some systems use the same index for both so 7 might be ISBN/ISSN.

To paraphrase a comment to me...
This is documented at http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/defns/bib1.html
I think we really should follow this convention.
Note that 4=title, 21 = subject, 1003 = author, 1018=publisher, 1035=keyword are in compliance with that convention.

Having 4 different use attributes for the same index (keyword) will likely just cause confusion.

5) Do we have structure attributes?
    1 (phrase) and 6 (keyword list) are the most common.
    or is everything keyword?

thanks

F. Grant Johnson
  Systems Coordinator