[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Back button creates double search rows

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 20:21:17 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Bill Ott<bott at grpl.org> wrote:
> In both the staff client and Firefox (I'm sure that's not a coincidence)
> using the back button (or Go Back) from an Advanced search, results in the
> search rows being double populated.  I've been able to replicate this in
> pretty much every skin, from PINES, to Conifer, to UPEI, to TADL.  The only
> exception I've found is GRPL's skin.

Ahhh ... you mean the search entry text boxes, not the result rows ...
I was confused for a good while.

> It's a minor issue, but it's driving me a bit nutty trying to track it down,
> especially since I've apparently already done something to cure it and can't
> figure out what.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

The advanced search form, being (partly) static, gets populated by the
browser when you hit back (that's the first set).  However, the code
also parses the URL to populate the search form when coming from a
basic search result.  Thus, double- (or triple-) population.  As for a
fix, there are a couple ways I can think of, but none are what I'd
call Good(tm).  We could conditionally clear the search form if we're
using url data, or built the form dynamically ...