[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Circulation Menu in the Staff Client

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 23:46:57 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Laura M.<codegrl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Catherine Buck Morgan wrote:
>>
>> Circ people are going to continue to look under the Circ menu to find
>> patrons... that's the menu they do all their work from. It's a workflow
>> thing.   It seems to me the Search menu is for the rest of us... :)  I guess
>> I don't see the problem with more than one access point.
>
> This was actually what I was curious about, and was hoping someone would
> mention.  :)
>
> What exactly is the workflow of a circ person? Why would they be searching
> for a patron only by barcode?

I imagine it would be to bring up the billing interface, or check
holds or some such ... and having them use "Check Out Items" to do
those things seems non-intuitive to my non-librarian self.  I don't
see "Check Out Items" and "Retrieve Patron by Barcode" as duplicate
functionality, even if they lead to the same place, if that makes
sense.  For 1.6, I could see removing the Retrieve, since the search
interface has a barcode search field into which the card can be
scanned.