[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Circulation Menu in the Staff Client

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Fri Jun 19 11:37:22 EDT 2009

I would leave the search patron by barcode in both the search menu and the circulation menu. We would need to gather information from our libraries to be sure; however, I suspect that circ staff primarily use the circulation menu to access the search screens. As Mike mentioned, circ staff search for patrons for many reasons other than to check out a book -- from paying fines and for services, getting the patron a list of checkedout or overdue books, changing information on a patrons records. Since we have so many patrons in PINES, it is usually best to search using their barcode number rather than name. Moving the functionality off the circ menu would likely negatively impact the workflow of our library staff.

As a noncirc person, if I need to look up someone quickly, I go directly to the search menu since I don't want to scan through the other options. So having it in both places serves different workflows.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128