[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Circulation Menu in the Staff Client

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Tue Jun 23 13:01:26 EDT 2009

"Laura M." <codegrl at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks, Elaine! :) I had thought of this was actually wondering if
> the circ staff were actually *clicking* on the menu items or are
> they using the F1 key?

As a rule, I believe most users are not comfortable with keyboard
shortcuts.  (Personally, I use them extensively, but I also use Gnus,
which is also not particularly typical for library staff.)

> If they're using the shortcut keys (as I would assume they would)
> then removing the item from the circ menu wouldn't be a problem.

If this were customizeable on a site-by-site basis, I could see it,
since some libraries might have an abnormally high tech-proficiency
level among the staff.  But I don't think it would work well for
everyone, unless perhaps there are custom keytops for the keyboard so
that the key face can actually read "Patron Status" instead of "F1".

> Maybe I can get a few people to survey their circ staff and ask them
> to give a detailed workflow, step-by-step of looking up a patron by
> barcode?

I don't have to survey our staff on this point; I have had ample
opportunity to observe their actual behavior.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library