[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Serials patch RFC

Frances Dean McNamara fdmcnama at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 24 11:23:27 EDT 2009

I have a general question about the development for serials.  This looks like it is addressing holdings statements for serials, and then issues as they come in.

The other aspect is bound volumes, that the summary holdings statements represent.  For us, these are bound volumes that each have a barcode and we frequently allow the volumes to circulate.  So we might have 120 bound volumes, then 6 recently checked in issues.  The opac will say we have v. 1-56, 60-124  and the 6 issues.  But we also actually list out the items with the volume numbers so folks can see which are available and which are checked out.  It does seem to me, that the current structure of the asset.call_number and asset.copy don't accommodate that very well because you really need to have a call number, a copy number, and then individual volume numbers.  Currently I think the volume number has to be part of the call no. and that makes for a separate row for every volume.  Seems like maybe you need separate places in asset.copy  for the copy number and volume numbers.

Is there any plan to address that?  In our collection long runs of serials are very important as people are looking at citations to v.26, Feb. 1907 p. 56-89    or something like that.

I will look at the specifics of the current design as well.  It is certainly helpful for us to have a null end date for a subscription as we do not actually renew each year.  We keep it open till we cancel the subscription and it would not work for us to be forced to renew every year.  Thanks.

Frances McNamara
University of Chicago