[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Telephone notification: Twilio

Josh Stompro stomproj at larl.org
Mon Nov 2 12:13:45 EST 2009

Doug Kyle wrote:
> I suggest that organizations wanting to setup custom telephone
> notifications look into Asterisk, its what we (Grand Rapids Public
> Library) and a number of other libraries are using.  It's open source,
> flexible, powerful, and the hardware setup costs are minimal.
Doug,
  Did you setup your own Asterisk server or use an appliance?  How well
has it been working for you?  Do you have to babysit the system or is it
set it and forget it.  Does it handle various voice mail systems and
answering machines well?  How many lines do you use?  Bill mentioned the
call volume being about 300-400 a day in his original message, is it
still about that?

I think I will add a telephone notification page to the evergreen
dokuwiki, just so that it shows up in search results.  There currently
isn't anything on the wiki about the subject that I could find.
Added to
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=development_proposals
and created page
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=scratchpad:telephone_notification

There is probably a certain level of volume above which a service like
Twilio would be more expensive than having your own equipment, but I
think for smaller systems it would be nice to just pay for the phone
notification and not need to worry about phone lines, servers, etc.
Josh

--
Lake Agassiz Regional Library - Moorhead MN larl.org
Josh Stompro               | Office 218.233.3757 EXT-139