[OPEN-ILS-DEV] MFHD Patch - Third Try

David Fiander david at fiander.info
Mon Nov 23 19:53:04 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:

>  * format() subroutine:
>    * I'm not too happy having the English "Note: " hardcoded here. In
> format_textual_holdings in MFHDParser.pm, I delimited the holdings and
> the note via a single dash ('$holdings - $note)', but I suppose there is
> a possibility of the single dash introducing some confusion with
> compressed holdings. Maybe a double-dash as a delimiter?

Z39.71 explicitly states that it documents the format of each of the
major sections (the "data areas") of the holdings information, but not
"the sequence in which data areas are to be displayed" (sec, 1.1.2).

However, the examples in Appendix A do see to use an em dash/double
hyphen to separate the data areas (see example 6, e.g.), which is in
keeping with the spirit of AACR 2 (which uses the infamous "period,
dash, dash" separator).

- David