[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Bug tracking (was: 1.6RC1 - Acquistions -possiblebugs)

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Oct 2 11:28:58 EDT 2009

2009/10/2 Jason Etheridge <jason at esilibrary.com>:
>> Anyway, I've been meaning to throw the Launchpad option out there.
>
> It's worth noting that Launchpad is open source, so if launchpad.net
> were to go under, we could run our own instance of the software if
> need be.  However, I don't know how easy it is to export/import bugs,
> FAQs, etc.

The Launchpad API is still in closed beta, but the bugs API in
particular is "close to completion" according to bueno on #launchpad.
Also, they have exported data in bulk for projects that have requested
it in the past and offered to do it for us if we needed it before the
API is opened up.

I wouldn't really want to run our own instance of Launchpad, because
then we're piling on administration work... but yes, it would be an
option.

> Dan, how has Google Groups been working for Conifer?  There's
> something I don't like about it, but I can't put my finger on it.  It
> has a web interface, but it's very different from a typical web board,
> and a single group can't have multiple named sub-"forums".  It has
> newsgroup-like threading, but I can't use my own NNTP client with it.
> Email is fine with it.  RSS is weird (not full-text).

The email interface to Google Groups is fine, but I find the Web
interface limited; browsing through time is laborious, and Google
Group's search is usually disappointing (oddly enough).