[OPEN-ILS-DEV] 1.6RC1 problems with Vandelay Authority Records importing

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Mon Oct 19 11:22:06 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Repke de Vries <repke at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I have encountered the following severe problems with uploading and
> importing authority records through Vandelay (MARC Batch Import / Export) in
> 1.6RC1:
> 1) I tried to upload and import (Windows 1.t staff client) two sets of
> standard MARC [1] authority records;  you can find them here:
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~repke/Evergreen/<http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Erepke/Evergreen/>
> a small subset of 17 records "subset100.mrc" and a somewhat larger one
> "proef103.mrc" with 1066 records
>
> 2) both upload fine in Vandelay; I ignored the sub choice "oclc" / "sytem
> local" and went straight for Browse and Upload
>
> 3) however: after upload and for each of the sets of records *the staff
> client is not able to show the list of records*: only the heading shows,
> everything below is blank; playing with different number of records per page
> and Previous and Next page does not help; closing the staff client and
> re-inspecting the relevant queue does not help either;

I was able to reproduce the issue with the sample records Dan S. added to
the repository.  It should now be fixed with a minor patch:
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/changeset/14491.  I've back-ported the fix
for inclusion in the official 1.6.0.0 release.

Another issue is the lack of seed data for authority records attributes.
Out of the box, when you import a set of authority records, it extracts the
identifier column for display and nothing else [1].  The bib records, on the
other hand, have a nice set of attribute definitions [2].  Adding some
default attribute definitions could be a good community project if anyone is
interested....

[1]
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/trunk/Open-ILS/src/sql/Pg/950.data.seed-values.sql#L1854
[2]