[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Taking the Plunge, Org Units

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Thu Sep 3 10:18:06 EDT 2009

> Well, after a few years of hanging around and helping where I could, I am pleased to announce that Calvin College is now officially committed to making the switch to Evergreen!  At one time it seemed that it would never happen, and suddenly it seems to be happening too fast :)

Huzzah!

<snip>
> With that in mind, does it make sense to define "collections" at the org_unit level?  For instance, we are a government documents repository for our district.  Does it make sense to define a separate unit for this collection within (underneath) the library unit?

I think it can make sense.

<snip>
> Would it create more additional work than it is worth?

I think the biggest gotcha will be transits.  Items will want to
transit to and from these org units, even if they're within the same
building, especially if they don't get their own registered
workstations for checkin.  There have been some dev thoughts in the
past on how to better accommodate this.

I think one notion is to have org unit settings that define
equivalency between arbitrary org units, or designate a specific org
unit as a transit destination for other org units.

And should each of these org units get their own pull list for hold requests?

--
Jason Etheridge