[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Taking the Plunge, Org Units

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Sep 3 10:27:03 EDT 2009

Hello Dan,

We are doing what I think you're describing here: http://catalogue.nrcan.gc.ca

When you "Choose a library..." > Expand All you'll see these "branches" which we've labelled as "Specialized Collections"

	CANMET Publications
	Minproc
	Mintec

So when you select, say Minproc, etc., the search limiter for org unit changes to search "This Specialized Collection"... So for the user, we are using the Org Selector to simply highlight certain key locations/collections that we know they want to filter on. The Org Selector offers a great way to really highlight it and for us especially given our limited real estate on our site's institutional look & feel.

Amongst the drawbacks to this approach is that these special collections still carry some organizational unit "baggage" related to permissions management, policies and so on, but in our case I haven't seen this as much overhead. In the longer term, ideally we would expose this as a limiter and/or facet in the OPAC (better than what we can do now), but the Org Unit selector is currently the best way for us to give some visibility to these special collections.

IMHO, based upon the current OPAC design, the Org Selector offers the best way to filter by high profile collections associated with certain branches, but I would like to explore alternative options via facets on results, filters on search, etc.

Hope this helps..

George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan
george.duimovich at nrcan.gc.ca