[OPEN-ILS-DEV] 1.6RC1 - Z39.50 Servers

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Mon Sep 21 10:40:11 EDT 2009

Thanks, but sorry, Mike, my poorly communicated message forgot to
specify that I was referring to Staff Client modifications/additions of
Z server *targets* for cataloging.

Your details about the z server helpful though, as we'll have to look at
that soon too!

George

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org
[mailto:open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of
Mike Rylander
Sent: September 21, 2009 10:24
To: Evergreen Development Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] 1.6RC1 - Z39.50 Servers

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Duimovich, George
<George.Duimovich at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca> wrote:

> I take it this must me a known issue, but Z39.50 Servers is missing
> the ability to add/modify target searth attributes (fields, indexes,
> etc. to be able to search)..

The Z server (strictly speaking, external to EG proper) is backed by the
built-in SRU interface.  That, in turn, is implemented on top of the
core search infrastructure.  So, to add search points to the Z interface
that don't exist by default you have to add core indexing
definitions[1].  Then you can use the attribute mapping config file[2]
to point specific Z attributes at internal search classes.  Right now,
the Z attributes can only be pointed at the class level, but in future
versions you'll be able to target specific, user-defined index
definitions.

Does that help?

[1]
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=scratchpad:random_magic_spells#
how_to_include_a_specific_marc_field_with_a_specific_search_class
[2]
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:sru_and_z39.50#
setting_up_z39.50_server_support_in_evergreen
(dg0.conf)

1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)  | email:  miker at esilibrary.com  | web:
http://www.esilibrary.com